Genetic Diversity of Nili-Ravi from Nili and Ravi Buffalo Breeds of Pakistan
A genomic study was conducted on three buffalo breeds (Nili, Ravi and Nili-Ravi) by RAPD analyses using 25 random 10-mer primers to identify the genetic diversity among these breeds. Blood samples from forty seven true representative animals of three breeds were collected from their respective home tracts. Six genomic DNA samples from each breed were randomly selected and pooled for analysis. One hundred and forty six bands were observed from 20 primers with an average of 7.3 bands (2-12). Of these 146 DNA bands, 39 fragments (26.71%) showed polymorphism among three buffalo breeds, while the rest 107 bands (73.29%) were monomorphic. The level of DNA variation was observed low. The coefficient of genetic distance among these buffalo breeds of the Punjab province of Pakistan was very low (0.0748 to 0.1312). The maximum genetic distance was found between Nili and Nili-Ravi (0.1312), while, minimum genetic distance was found between Ravi and Nili-Ravi (0.0748). The genetic distance between Nili and Ravi was 0.1298. The survey during blood sampling showed that Nili and Ravi are two separate breeds still found in huge number in their respective home tracts, while the junctures have the new breed named Nili-Ravi. The results suggest that these three breeds must be maintained and improved with their own identity in their native areas.
Search for citations in Google Scholar
Related articles: Google Scholar
Genetic Diversity, Nili Ravi, Buffalo, Pakistan
the Italian Journal of Animal Science [eISSN 1828-051X] is the official journal of the Animal Science and Production Association and it is published by PAGEPress®, Pavia, Italy. Reg. Pavia, n. 2/2010-INF. All credits and honors to PKP for their OJS.